Tuesday, July 5, 2011

More fun with Subframes

This weekend was a busy one.  Not only did I finish stripping and cleaning the subframe out of the car, my kitchen sink decided to fall in.

For those of you contractors, or DIY'ers, just a quick note.  A blob of Liquid Nails is no substitute for a proper bracket.  Especially on big heavy things that become bigger, heavier things filled with hot soapy water.  Besides, a handful of correct brackets are actually cheaper than a whole tube of Liquid Nails.  So all that proves is you're a lazy S.O.B. who cost me a whole day on the restoration project.  Shame on you!




Anyway, I was able to get the decades of road gunk scraped off the subframe.  I scrubbed it down good with some softscrub to get all the grease and grime off that I could.  It still looks like hell, but it's ready to go to the sandblaster's.

Once it's down to bare metal, I have some small, hopefully easy repairs to make.  I'll weld up all of the open seams left by the factory, and clean up some of their welding as well.  I'm going to re-inforce both of those connection tabs (the ears halfway up the side), as they look a little thin due to rust.  I don't know, but it may pay off to remove and replace them.  We'll see.  They don't seem that bad, just one of those things you don't want to have to re-do after the whole car's back together.  I'll research parts, and see.

That's where I'll start having to spend some real money.  From here on out, progress will probably be much slower.

No comments:

Post a Comment