Monday, February 27, 2012

More Floor

OK, I did something stupid with my camera, so no pictures for this post.  But I did make some progress this weekend.  I finished taking out the seat support, and trimmed out the rest of the hole for the patch in the floor.  The patch panel looks like it's going to fit pretty nicely, after some trimming.

I also filled in some of my mistakes with the cutting wheel, and spot weld cutter.  Most of that will be covered by the new metal, but needed to be repaired anyway.

Hopefully this time next week I'll have this floor all done up nicely.  I picked up some butt-joint clamps from Harbor Freight, but I need to pick up some more channel locks/clamps.  I think I'll need at least a half-dozen to clamp that floor in nice and tight.

I'd like a hole-punch.  Might have to get one.  I'll need to zap some holes in the new panel for plug welds on the lap joints.

Pictures will follow, soon as I can figure out where I put that camera. . .

Friday, February 17, 2012

Changed my mind

Well, I changed my mind about that floor panel on the passenger side.  It's going to be far simpler to use the whole repair panel, than try to fit a patch.  I just don't have a lot of confidence in my ability to cut a decent looking patch this time.

So, I got to cutting the spot-welds.  I'll have to remove the passenger seat support, which is probably the toughest part of the job.  Besides fitting the panel, that is.  I have a picture here of the hole getting larger in the floor--cuting a little bit out at a time is what's needed here.  Baby steps.

I also have a picture of the removed inside seat belt support, more as an example of how cutting out the spot welds works.  The spot-weld cutter is more or less a tiny hole saw.  The trick is to not cut a hole through both panels.

It sucks having to cut perfectly good metal out of the car, but in this case I think it will be better in the end.