Monday, June 6, 2011

Nasty surprise

For every good surprise, there are at least two nasty surprises.  Or three, maybe four.  Anyway, while pulling out the old windshield, I found an ugly little rust spot where the window meets the dashboard.  I don't think replacing the panel or patching the hole will be a big deal, but it was a little unexpected.



Pulling the windshield itself is pretty easy.  The important thing is to have the right kind of knife.  you need something long, flexible and strong.  I used an inexpensive linoleum knife from Harbor Freight.  It turned out to be the perfect tool for the job.  All you have to do is score the seal on the outside, then reach inside and cut the rest of the way through.  You want to take your time, and wear heavy gloves.  That linoleum knife can do wicked things to your fingers if you slip.








Once the windshield seal is cut, the glass will just pop right up out of there.  If you're strong, it's an easy 1-man job.  However, you definitely want a helping hand for putting new glass back in.  But don't be afraid to try--doing a windshield really isn't that tough.


That second pic gives you an idea of the mayhem caused by that nasty vinyl top.  I will say that vinyl tops are the work of Satan.  I know grandma had one on this car from the get-go, but it ain't going to ever have one again while I own it.  Anyway, here's a pic of the worst part of the roof.  At the very least I'll need a new roof skin, and I may need to replace the front roof support.  I won't know for sure until I get in there and rip the headliner out and cut off that section of the roof.  Expect the worst, so that any surprises you get are pleasant ones, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment